Skip to main content
Topic: prodikeys keyboard (Read 4294 times) previous topic - next topic

prodikeys keyboard

Has anyone purchased and/or used the Creative Labs Prodikeys Keyboard?

http://www.prodikeys.com/welcome.asp

This seems like it might be an elegant solution for us to enter music in NWC without taking up too much additional desktop space.  In some ways, it seems a little pricey ($75-$90 US), but considering you get a Soundblaster card, all necessary cables, and the dual purpose keyboard, maybe it's not so bad.  I'd like to hear some feedback from someone who may have experience before I purchase one.

Thanks!

Re: prodikeys keyboard

Reply #1
Fairly typical - $75-$90 translates to about the same amount in UK£. Still, thanks for the tip. I just had to order one, so if I remember, I'll report back on my findings when it arrives!

RObin

Reply #2
considering you get a Soundblaster card.........

Are you sure about this?

Reply #3
Sournote-

Although the link on the Prodikeys site doesn't show the Soundblaster card as an included item, sales sites such as Amazon.com are showing it as an included item with the purchase of the keyboard.  The keyboard is made by Cretive Labs, same company as the Soundblaster cards.

Reply #4
From the info on the site it appears that the left/right arrow keys function as octave up/down, and the up/down arrow keys function as volume up/down.

This could be confusing, not to say extremely awkward when inputting in step mode and trying to edit at the same time.

Reply #5
It looks like an idea whose time has come.  The systems requirements page seems to confirm a soundblaster card comes with the keyboard.

Inputting might be a little disappointing for those who haven't tried using a music keyboard for inputs before - my own experience, not being a pianist, was that I could never get the duration of the notes right, so I'd end up with a midi file in NWC that had all sorts of unwanted 16th and 32nd notes, and I'd have to do a lot of editing.  If you're good with a keyboard though, the gadget seems to be a brilliant idea.

My suggestion would be to buy it from a music store rather than online, and see if they'll let you try out the demo unit in store before you buy.

And don't go to try it out, then save a couple of bucks ordering it online - that's cheating the retailer.

Reply #6
OK, first impressions:
Firstly, you DON'T get a soundcard of any description with it, unless it's part of a bundle, which mine wasn't, since I bought it direct from Creative.
Overall impression is that it will fit my needs, so I'm happy. Neither the PC keyboard nor the MIDI keyboard are particularly impressive on their own. The only extra buttons on the PC keyboard are for various Creative websites, plus one for the Prodikeys software. The MIDI keyboard is only 2.5 octaves, and the keys are very small, so it probably wouldn't suit an experienced keyboard player, especially since, out of the box, it isn't possible to transpose the input to third party software.
However, there is an update available from the Prodikeys website which re-maps the web portal keys to octave up and down keys in MIDI applications. This works in NWC - I've tested it. The third portal key (the middle one) is supposed to be for EAX effects, which is obviously irrelevant for NWC, and it has the effect here of turning tied notes on and off.
The main advantage of this keyboard is space. I can now enter notes in step-time (and I've never used real-time anyway, being a lousy pianist), without having to move my hands very far from the PC keys I always need to insert bars, etc.

So, it's a thumbs-up after about 1 hour's playing for the keyboard. I had a brief look at the included software, and decided it definitely isn't for serious musicians, or even not-very-serious-but-more-or-less-musically-literate hobbyists like me. I'll stick to NWC, but use the new keyboard to enter the music.

RObin