Skip to main content
Topic: New staff does not return the right instrument (Read 2307 times) previous topic - next topic

New staff does not return the right instrument

L. S.!

When I put in a number of new staffs, there is a strange thing.
Maybe it depends on the place in the score, but after a number of new staffs, when I give it the instrumentation of a trumpet, or whatever, I always hear the sound of a set of various rhytm section sounds.
Who helps me?
Thanks in advance.

Greetings,

Mazzltov.

Re: New staff does not return the right instrument

Reply #1
G'day Mazzltov,
old, old problem.  The staff in question is on MIDI channel 10.  This one is for percussion.  Simply change the MIDI channel number to an unused one (or double up with another staff if you have, say, 2 trumpets and are running out of MIDI channels).

<Alt-Enter> on the staff, select the Midi tab and the Channel number is at the bottom of the dialogue.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
IMO, Midi channel 10 should be skipped in the "auto-assign" routine.

Way back when, some sound cards used channel 16 for drums, but now, everyone's soundcard does drums on channel 10.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Hi Mazzltov,

If you count, you'll find out that your problem always happens on the tenth staff that you add. That's because NWC assigns a new MIDI channel to each new staff, and MIDI channel 10 is, by convention, reserved for percussion instruments. The solution is to go to the staff properties (click on the problem staff to make sure it's the active staff, then press F2) - click on the MIDI tab in the "staff properties" dialog box - and enter a different number in the box labeled "channel." Most sound cards will allow you to use up to 16 channels. Instruments can share a channel, if necessary, but it's best to make them compatible (for example, violins I and II, or oboe and bassoon, or soprano, alto, tenor and bass)

Hope this helps....

Bill