Skip to main content
Topic: Where have all the lyrics gone? (Read 6151 times) previous topic - next topic

Where have all the lyrics gone?

I know there are other items on the forum, as well as in the FAQ, that refer to this, but they don't answer my question.
For the first time, I am trying to import .kar files into NWC2. The file imports without a problem, except that there are no lyrics. The FAQ states that Noteworthy should import the lyrics, and create a staff that attempts to emulate where the lyrics should go. The staff is there OK - called "lyrics", and set to output on channel 10, so it sounds cacophonic (if there isn't such a word, there should be!) if you don't mute that line, but there ain't no lyrics!
Am I doing something wrong, or do I need to do something extra to import the lyrics? If I view the original .kar file with a hex viewer, I can see the lyrics in there.

Robin

Re: Where have all the lyrics gone?

Reply #1
>The staff is there OK - called "lyrics", and set to output on channel 10, so it sounds cacophonic

Any lyrics imported by NWC2 from a *.kar file would be in a fake staff that contains nothing but rests and muted notes. The MIDI channel would not matter.

If you do not get any lyrics, this implies that the file does not contain lyric text that conforms to the .kar specification. If you have doubts, you can send an example to support, and we will review it and report back.

Reply #2
See also:

• faq #88: What is imported when a MIDI file has lyrics?
  • faq #89: Does NWC support karaoke (*.kar) files?

Reply #3
Thanks - I did read those FAQs, and AFAICT, the lyrics should have been imported. I'll e-mail an example separately.

Reply #4
My guess is that the problem is file-specific. I've had no problem with either *.mid (with lyrics) or *.kar in the past.

Reply #5
Your file is not a valid .kar file (as outlined in faq #89). However, it is a valid MIDI file. If you change the extension to .mid, the lyrics will be handled correctly by NWC2.

Reply #6
I still think nwc should ignore the mistaken extension in this case.  For various reasons, the internet is full of MIDI files with the wrong extension (.kar for a .mid and vise versa) and how is the user really supposed to know the difference.  NWC should be able to intellegently decide which file it has an then go to the corresponding routine.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI