Skip to main content
Topic: Chord staff (Read 3762 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord staff

Often I write the chords on a separate "empty" staff that's layered over one of the others ("layer with next staff").
In this way it's easy to prepare the score for each instrument with che chord indication.

The problem is that the staff label that's printed is the one of the first layered staff.
Since the chord staff, to be easy to use, must be the one having "layer with next staff" checked, it happens that the combined staff label is the chord staff one, even if it's empty.

My suggestion is to make the combined staff label not that of the first staff indiscriminately but the one of the first layered staff with a non empty label.

Re: Chord staff

Reply #1
I work a little differently.  For me, it's the "other" staff that gets layered with the "chord" staff (I call it a lyrics staff 'cos I have the lyrics on it too.)  Thus I don't have this problem...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
My suggestion is to make the combined staff label not that of the first staff indiscriminately but the one of the first layered staff with a non empty label.
Concur
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Lawrie,
if the "layered" staff is the movable one you just move it on top of a standard one and you're done.
If the "layered" staff is each time a different one, you have to make it layered when you move the chord-lyrics-whatever to it and then remember to "unlayer" it when you need chord-lyrics-whatever elsewere.

That's why I wrote "to be easy to use".

Reply #4
Hey flurmy,
you are correct, but nevertheless I find doing it the other way suits me better.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
I concur with your suggestion, Maurizio. In the meantime, though, why don't you just label the chord staff with the label you want to display? The label and the staff name are different; you can keep track of the staves by their names, and then make the labels anything you want.

Reply #6
Bill,
that's exactly what I do, and also why I proposed the change. ;-)