Skip to main content
Topic: octave notes (Read 5690 times) previous topic - next topic

octave notes

Hi. Is there a keyboard shortcut way to add octave notes, rather than laboriously adding each using the chord commands? Also, is there a way to adjust the speed of the playback?

Re: octave notes

Reply #1
No keyboard shortcut to add an octave. I have a User Tool to do it, but I don't use it much. I've found that using the Chord Command is not all that laborious.

I use these shortcuts:
Quote from: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/help/HELP_ONKEYBOARD.htm
Ctrl+Up
Moves the insertion point up by an octave
   Ctrl+Down  
Moves the insertion point down by an octave

Use the Tempo Command to adjust the speed of the playback.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Enter one octave, or for that matter, a chord. Copy it. Enter, and adjust to the desired pitch.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
If the goal is to have an entire section (or an entire piece) have a part represented in octaves (to have a different sound, etc.) then you could use layering.  Enter the entire part once as one note.  Then create  new staff and copy the notes from the first staff into the second.  Then move the notes, on the second staff, down or up an octave as desired by selecting them all and pressing [Ctrl]-[Shift]-[Up Arrow] or [Down Arrow].  You can then position the two staves above each other, and enable layering for the upper staff, and on Page Setup.  The two staves would then be combined and have the octaves represented.  It's all a matter of what you need to do...this may require way too much setup for just a couple measures in which case the other ideas presented will work better.

Reply #4
You can then position the two staves above each other, and enable layering for the upper staff, and on Page Setup.
The two staves would then be combined and have the octaves represented.
and will generally look wrong on the printed page.

This technique is useful for quickly finding out how coll'8va or coll'8va bassa will sound.  For proper printing, a bit of extra formatting will need to be done.

Edit: corrected 'coll. 8va basso' to: coll'8va bassa

Reply #5
Thank you all!
All of the suggestions were great. I am notating a lot of ancient music, mostly chant, and they switch back and forth from octave to unison to harmony a lot. I'm forever hunting notes. I think the control + up/down will be the most useful. I already do some layering, using the invisible note function to hide notes I don't want to see printed. Works OK.
Also, thanks for the tempo change help. Funny how you can be looking right at something and not see it. Most of my music is in eigth and sixteenth notes and the playback just whizzed by!
Rick, I didn't really understand what you were talking about in that last post, but that's OK. I got a lot of help.
Thanks.

Reply #7
removed by author.

Reply #8
coll. 8va or coll. 8va basso:
colla parte in octaves. The first one is octaves up, the second is octaves down.

Reply #9
coll. 8va or coll. 8va basso: colla parte in octaves.

I never saw it before and I was wondering what "coll." could stand for.
Now that you explained I got it: it's miswritten.
The right way is "coll'8va" or "coll'8va bassa" (or also "coll'8va al basso")

N.B. "colla parte" is archaic (before XXth century); today it's written "con la parte" and, likewise, "coll'ottava" today is "con l'ottava"

I learned something today. Thanks mates.

Reply #10
The right way is "coll'8va" or "coll'8va bassa"
You are correct. I was working from memory.
In any case, Alfred's Essential Dictionary of Music Notation, discourages its use in "traditional engraving".