Skip to main content
Topic: Double-barreled notes (Read 8067 times) previous topic - next topic

Double-barreled notes

When we download the boxmarks font, or whatever it is, where do we download it to? Also, for the double-barrelled whole notes what about ledger lines? How do I use them with ledger lines?

Re: Double-barreled notes

Reply #1
There's probably some special procedure to follow, but I think I've just unzipped the font file into the fonts folder in C:\windows.

If that doesn't work, see if Start/Settings/Control Panel/Fonts has instructions to follow.

The various symbols are just text entries, including the  || 0 ||,    which is the one I think you're asking about.  They'll be positioned at the vertical position your cursor is at when you make the entry.  If it turns out to be wrong, just highlight it and move it up or down using the shift key and the up or down arrow.

There's room for 6 user fonts in NWC.  They have to be set for each file.  Go to File/Page Setup/Fonts, select User Font 1, press Modify, and then select the font you want it to become.  Do the same for the rest as you need them.  Font size could be the same size as the notation size in page setup/options, but it doesn't have to be.  You could install Boxmark2 in different sizes as different User Fonts if you want.

You do have to install the font before it becomes available as a user font.

Reply #2
Also remember that you can create your own templates (=save an NWC file in the template folder) with whatever font(-s) you want to use, so you don't have to change the same stuff over and over agian.

Reply #3
G'day Michael,
How do I use them with ledger lines? - I can think of 2 possibilities:

• Use a semibreve and position the text breve over the top of it.
  • Use underscores - three underscores in the lyric font is pretty close to the length of a normal ledger line.  I suggest the lyric font as it scales with the score if you change the staff size...
Boxmark2 comes in a ZIP file.  Extract this file anywhere you like, though I usually create a folder to extract ZIPs into so I can check 'em out before committing.

To install Boxmark2 - the "correct" way is to use the Fonts applet in control panel, but you can simply copy the Boxmark2.ttf file into the C:\Windows\fonts folder.  It amounts to the same thing...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Using Staff Bold as a poor stand in for boxmarks:

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/2
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace|Pos:-8^|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:"\|o\|"|Font:StaffBold|Pos:-8|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-9z|Opts:Muted
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-8|Visibility:Never
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Accountants like ledger lines.  They make the numbers so much neater..

Sorry I missed answering the question about leger lines, Michael.  Just use a headless, stemless note, even a whole note, to force leger lines:

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-10z
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #6
I learned the word as "leger." But recently, I have come across so many uses as "ledger" that I thought my memory was incorrect. Nice to see "leger" again.

Reply #7
I should point out that the Wikipedia article, on the subject, spells the word both ways.

Reply #8
Ledger vs leger, how interesting.  I'm finding the ledger spelling in several online sources, yet I don't ever recall seeing it spelled that way before.

Reply #9
My Alfred's gives both spellings - ledger lines has the definition and leger lines says see ledger lines...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
My utterly non-authoritative guess is that maybe leger is the word in another language, such as French. I could look it up, but given that there is so much other non-authoritative information on the Internet, why bother?