Skip to main content
Topic: RestChord alignment problem (Read 5405 times) previous topic - next topic

RestChord alignment problem

I may be missing something, but shouldn't the second chord align in these 2 clips when layered?

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:8th|Pos2:-3,-1,1
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:8th|Pos2:#-3,-2,1
|RestChord|Dur:16th|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:16th|Pos2:#-6,-3
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:-3,-1,1|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:8th|Pos:#-3,-2,1|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:#-6,-3|Opts:Stem=Down
I don't need a fix, just pointing out a possible problem.

Edit: this has been fixed (possible some time ago). The chords now align properly.
Registered user since 1996

Re: RestChord alignment problem

Reply #1
G'day Rick,
I concur.

Although you said you didn't need a fix I experimented a little, and as expected, extra note space fixes the alignment but also highlights another issue...

The accidental ends up too far from the chord.  What I haven't figured out is: is there any reason for an accidental not to move with a note that has extra note space assigned?  Or if this is desirable, then similar to something I've mentioned somewhere else; extra accidental space could use a negative value.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Yes. Certain chord/layer combos need the rest to stay put.
It might be a useful option to have the rest follow the head, but I have yet to find a combo I can't get right without it.

I've found that just about every time I use extra note or accidental  spacing for anything other than the purpose intended, I end up taking it out in the final edit.

Reply #3
You can't get the accidental back where it belongs. I've asked repeatedly for a negative spacing ability, but no joy there. And as for the obvious Extra Note Spacing should move the note, with all its attachments, and Extra Accidental Spacing should position the accidental: well Eric just refused to understand the point at all!

It's trivial things like this that make it so frustrating that the new release will still be unnecessarily sub-standard, when with a bit more thought it could be superb.

Reply #4
Well Peter, I guess I'm with Eric on this one. I have yet to find a chord accurately notated in commercial music that I could not reproduce with layering. Here's a real beauty (layer the staves):

|Clef|Type:Bass
|TimeSig|Signature:6/8|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:14x|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=1,Beam=First,NoLegerLines,Muted|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:#6|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=7,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Slur|Pos:#-1|Opts:Stem=Up,StemLength=11,Beam=End,XNoteSpace=1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Slur=Upward,StemLength=11,Beam=First,XNoteSpace=1,Muted
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:b4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:b7|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|Clef|Type:Bass
|TimeSig|Signature:6/8|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:b1,3|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=10,Beam=First,ArticulationsOnStem
|Chord|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:-4,1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam,ArticulationsOnStem
|Chord|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:1,3|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=10,Beam=End,ArticulationsOnStem
|Text|Text:" "|Font:StaffBold|Pos:8|Wide:Y|Justify:Center
|Chord|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:b0z,b2,b4|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=9,Beam=First,ArticulationsOnStem
|Chord|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:b-3,2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam,ArticulationsOnStem
|Chord|Dur:8th,Staccato|Pos:2,4|Opts:Stem=Down,StemLength=11,Beam=End,ArticulationsOnStem
|Bar
The muted XNote receives a Dnat from the right hand.