Skip to main content
Topic: Midi to Wav - WinAmp full or lite (Read 3951 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi to Wav - WinAmp full or lite

In https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2550 there are a demonstration of how to convert a midi file to a wav-file. I have downloaded WinAmp281_lite. It doesn't look right. Is it enough with the lite version of WinAmp or do I have to pay for a full version, so I can convert some midi-files to wav-files?
Sincerely
Steffen

Re: Midi to Wav - WinAmp full or lite

Reply #1
Steffen: The method requires a plug-in to Winamp. If the plug-in is not in the full version, go to the Winap page, and find the plug-in as a separate download. It's only for version 2, not version 3.

That said: A year ago, I tried it, and could not get it to work for me. The software appears to be making the recording to WAV, but the resulting file is empty. I searched the Internet for comments from Winamp users, and found that many of them were finding the same thing. None of the user tips helped. Obviously, the method does work for some users. Maybe it's an XP thing.

This forum has many other tips on the subject of MIDI to WAV recording. Use the search capability.

Reply #3
In the two cents department, I use MusicMatch. It can readily convert to mp3 or wav (and automatically creates cd's if desired once the wav or mp3 files are in place. Can use a freeware version (near CD quality) or the paid version which allows for CD quality. For purposes of web use, I generally stick to near CD since the files are smaller and still acceptable.

Step by step instructions are at http://www.psalmistry.com/midi_mp3_cd.htm

See user tip 97 and faq#49 (very helpful summary of a variety of items)

Reply #4
I will try some of the other programs, because WinAmp make  Wav files with no sound.
The first time I used WinAmp I'm (almost) sure the lyrics of the song, I was playing, was displayed in a little window on the screen. Am I right?
Kind regards
Steffen

Reply #5
If you do not have a decent soundcard, then TiMidity++ is a must. Listen to the mp3 (I created from TiMidity wav file) vs the mid on my website if you have any question about your soundcard.

My Home Page

Reply #6
(1) Winamp, or a variety of other players, may be able to display lyrics as they are played. The song has to be encoded for it, and the player has to be told to do it.

(2) You might want to look at Tim's distribution of Timidity, or other programs mentioned above.

(3) For the benefit of anyone who just dropped into this forum: A MIDI file is not "converted" to WAV. Rather, the MIDI instructions are "played" by synth instruments from a sound database, and the result is "recorded" to WAV.

Reply #7
The song is encoded for it, the NoteWorthy Plug-in is installed, but I don't how I "tell" WinAmp 2.81 to display the lyric. I hope someone can tell me that.
I will take a look at Tim's site.
Sincerely
Steffen

Reply #8
The DOS version of Timidity++ shows the lyrics very well at the top of the screen. The GUI version shows them, but not as well.  Both are included in my download and instructions on how to use them.

Reply #9
Is it enough with the lite version of WinAmp or do I have to pay for a full version

pay!??
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI