Skip to main content
Topic: Acrobat 5.05 (Read 3882 times) previous topic - next topic

Acrobat 5.05

I am running Acrobat 5.05 in a Windows XP environment with Office XP. Several days ago, when I open a pdf document, acrobat opens and I see the document then it automatically closes and the document is gone. I uninstalled and then re-installed Acrobat, but it still does the same thing! I even did a manual unistall and reinstalled, but the same thing continues to happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards,

Barry

Re: Acrobat 5.05

Reply #1
...talk about off topic...

Reply #2
Not at all off topic. One of the individuals to whom I am trying to transmit sheet music (NWC to PDF) is having trouble getting Acrobat Reader to work. None of the obvious fixes have solved the problem, so far. It's not a general problem with Acrobat Reader (versions 4.05 or 5.05) or with XP, either. It's something peculiar to that user.

Perhaps Acrobat Reader was installed under a specific user login, rather than administrative (all users). If so, than the computer may think that an unauthorized user is attempting access Acrobat Reader, or the document to be opened. It may be that an earlier (incompatible) version of Acrobat Reader is accessible to all users, but a more recent version was installed for a specific user.

I would suggest a full removal of all Acrobat Reader components, re-boot, then a fresh re-install, being sure that the installation is with administrative privileges, and is available for all users.

Reply #3
Try opening Acrobat first and then opening the PDF file.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #4
Acrobat 5 is prone to total, silent failure if there is a font on your system that it does not like. Do you have an older copy of NWORN3 font (or any other unusual fonts) installed on your system? If you have an older copy of NWORN3, you should update it with the new version at https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2312.

See also: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=2202

Reply #5
It seems that Robert (I suppose it was him) removed the user tip #78 !?

Reply #6
Yes, I removed the user tip (just yesterday, sigh!) But see me reply to the NWORN3 forum thread.

Reply #7
The tip has been restored.

Reply #8
Gosh, I didn't know that a restoration was possible. Also, I see (my reply 6) that I was half-awake at the time.

Reply #9
Perhaps "reconstructed" is a better description of what was done. We had an archive copy of this tip which was used to rebuild the actual tip.