Skip to main content
Topic: Problems with Printing (Read 4630 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with Printing

Hi. I am currently a highschool student taking a music coarse. And I am proud to say that I used the NoteWorthy Composer program to help me with my composition project. Everything went well, thanks to the programmars of NoteWorthy Software Inc, until I saw the final print-out.

On the beginning of every single line, it outputs 'Unregistered NoteWorthy Composer Score Print', sometimes even overlapping with the notes and dynamic indicators.

Is there any way that I could disable it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Problems with Printing

Reply #1
This is one problem that is easy to solve. Register.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
Perhaps each student is using an unregistered version, for training purposes? Seems possible. But Noteworthy Composer is not a free program; it must be registered (pay for it) to enable features such as clean printing.

Reply #3
Perhaps this "student" needs a little help with spelling too - or is that too "coarse" a comment!

Reply #4
...as for getting around it without registering, I know a simple solution that I used to use, but I'll keep my mouth shut. Such things are better learned on your own...
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #5
It's so very nice to get so many kind and helpful replies. Especially you, Paul. 'F' you too buddy, Mr. Spelling Champion =).

And secondly, I think it was VERY smart of the programmers to add such feature into the unregistered version. Annoy the crap out of the users so they will pay for the full version. Very original. Couldn't think of a better way to increase the marketing, say, just limitting the features of the shareware? Imagine this; working on something for hours and hours, and finally you get it done. You click on 'print' and look at the paper, finding the final outcome looking EXTREMELY ghetto because a bunch of guys couldn't think of a better way to make money.

It's a fine program. It's just that it has a few very very stupid features, such as the printing spam, the order-form auto-print, and 10-save limit. C'mon guys, you can do better than that.

Reply #6
in other words, "it's a fine program except that you want me to pay for it"

Reply #7
So you agree that it's a very good program, but you want it for free.

Don't you think the creators of this software have a right to earn a living?

The purpose of the version you have is to let you evaluate - for free - whether the program is suitable for your needs. The license you agreed to when installing the program makes that quite clear. As to the limitations of the trial version, those are also quite clearly spelled out in Help | Benefits of Registering, so you have no-one to blame for the time you "wasted" in attempting to use the software beyond its license.

Reply #8
Mr. Nachbaur, yes, they have a right to earn living. And yes, one of the purposes of a shareware program is so people can evaluate it. Some of its other purposes are, I dunno, maybe to help those UNPROFESSIONAL people out? For them to use for their UNPROFESSIONAL activities? And most importantly, make people want to buy the real version. And I gotta tell ya, gettin' pissed off ain't much of a turn on.

Reply #9
I'm not interested in a food fight over something that's quite cut-and-dried. However, I'd be interested in knowing what purposes other than evaluation to determine suitability you imagine trial versions of shareware programs to have.

I would estimate that over 95% of registered users of NWC are non-professional musicians. Including myself. I have a day job, bills and mortgage payments, all that sort of thing. That's a big reason why I chose NoteWorthy Composer over software costing ten times as much. I'm glad I did, because as an amateur I don't have the time it would take to learn those other packages.

In summary, methinks thou dost protest too loudly.

Reply #10
As a high school student, you can be excused for expecting to get everything for free, as this probably defines your current lifestyle. In your defense, you have been honest as to your status. However, classifying our evaluation version as SPAM is quite a stretch. If you elect to download and try out our evaluation version, this is your choice. You are warned before printing that an order form will be included, and the download is clearly labeled as an evaluation. You are not the victim of spam in this scenario, as each step of the way, you are taking affirmative steps to get the result that you experience. If you do not like it and cannot afford to purchase, simply discontinue your use of the program.

Reply #11
To our student friend-
As a former teacher and professional student, may I suggest  that a thoughtful paper on the issues you have confronted might result in an enhanced grade for your composition project.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #12
what's wrong with society?

Reply #13
I've downloaded a number of music editing program demos, and even bought a few programs.

There is not a single one, anywhere, that has capabilities that match Noteworthy Composer's demo.

Some don't print at all.
NWC prints well enough for you to see exactly how the registered version would work.

Some don't save at all. Others save only, say, the first 10 measures.
NWC saves 10 times, and saves files larger than any I've created.

Some disable some formatting options, so you may not be able to tell whether a given feature will really work in your case.
NWC doesn't disable any formatting options.

I seriously considered paying for the registered version simply because the demo was so good. I decided not to. Instead, I paid because I decided that was the program I was going to use.