Skip to main content
Topic: Interesting error... (Read 8929 times) previous topic - next topic

Interesting error...

In the Staff Lyrics dialogue, do a “_W_hat’s This?” on “Align _S_yllable Using:”
It reads:  “This field controls how the lyric text will be aligned and justified underneath it’s corresponding note(s).”
It should read “…underneath its corresponding note(s).”

Re: Interesting error...

Reply #1
And the Grammar Police strike again.
Get a life!

Reply #2
Gosh Barry, you kidding? NoteWorthy is a member of The Educational Software Cooperative. How can they educate without proper grammer ;-)
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #3
Reference Lyric Help:

Thanks for the report. It is now fixed in our web site copy, and will appear in future releases of the product's help.

Reply #4
Barry, I do have a life, and it is good.
It's not as if I spend my time searching for errors.
It's just that I actually notice those that I happen to come across as being errors, rather than not having any idea that something's wrong, or worse, not caring that it's wrong or simply accepting the error as "a part of life."
I am thankful that NWO appreciates the report, and does not see it simply as a criticism, as you seem to do, even.

Exit, stage right.

Reply #5
If it will make you feel any better: I found that very (common) error on the main web page for the Commission on Teacher Credentialing for the State of California.

It's no longer there. I let them know, and they fixed it.

Reply #6
".....How can they educate without proper grammer ;-)"
.....um, grammar...

Reply #7
And the Grammar Police strike again

Hm... is "Police" singular or plural? I would think it would be  grammatically singular, so I'd say "... strikes again."

But I may be mistaken. And don't care much either way. :-p

Reply #8
so I'd say "... strikes again."
and you'd be wrong.

Reply #9
And if we're the language fuzz, when did "credential" become a verb? It doesn't even fill a need, there's "accredit" "certify" "license" or even "approve" just standing around waiting to be of help. It's only a matter of time before someone in tha office starts to say "credentialise" and then we'd just have to kill them.

Right. One life, coming up.

Reply #10
I am not the one who verbed credential. It was greenly verbified by the state.

Reply #11
Sorry folks, just had to add my two pennorth to this. My favourite hate (if that is possible) is the marketing blurb from Autodesk when describing any of the AutoCAD products (all of them magnificent, of course) when it states that you can "leverage" your productivity by the use of the software.

I thought leverage was a noun not a verb.

ARU

Reply #12
I once saw a very funny document called something like "10 rules of American Grammar" (American, note, we Brits would never stand for such a thing). Unfortunately, I lost it, and the only one I can remember was "Any noun can be verbed".
Anyone know the piece I mean, or know a link to it?

Robin

Reply #13
I just tried that statement on Google, and got lots of replies, so I guess (sorry, that's bad grammar too) - I suppose it's a common aphorism.

Robin

Reply #14
Well, apparently it's "William Safire's Rules for Writers", although there isn't a full reference, but here are some more examples, courtesy of K. Delarue

Don't use no double negatives.

Verbs has to agree with their subjects.

Always avoid alliteration.

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

About sentence fragments.

Robin

Reply #15
I have this list somewhere, but I can't find it!
AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Reply #16
Referring back a few posts, would a favorite hate be a pet peeve?

CNA

Reply #17
I can't stand when someone says "one of my pet peeves."
You can have only one pet peeve.

Reply #18
You can have two but one of them should be spayed.

Reply #19
... But if your peeve is an unspayed Chia pet, then soon you'll have Chia Chia Chia pet peeves.

A little musical joke, there.

Reply #20
I remember a poem by Walt Kelly that went something like this:

"Do you herd sheep," my grandma said.
My grandpa leaped in fright.
"That grammar's wrong," to me he cried.
"'Have you heard sheep,' is right."

Reply #21
For the record, the help file is not updated during web updates, so this error is not corrected in the most recent 1.75 update (since a new help file is not actually released).