Skip to main content
Topic: How do I put more instrument sounds into the midi sound card? (Read 2706 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I put more instrument sounds into the midi sound card?

First question:
I downloaded a drum kit from the internet, I tried to open it and when doing so it showed some fourth notes on a bar, I played it and now I wonder how I could put those sounds in the staff properties' midi sound archive of my sound card.

I have no clue how to do this.
My sound card:
Roland GM/GS(R) Sound Set Copyright 1996
Ali Audio Wave
Microsoft GS Wavetable-software

Second question:
I want to use the drum sounds but I can't find them on my midi sound archive. The only way to get those drum sounds is to load a NWCtemplate. Is there another way to get these drum sounds?

Re: How do I put more instrument sounds into the midi sound card?

Reply #1
How do I put more instrument sounds into the midi sound card?

Easy ... buy a new card.

As for your questions, I think the obvious answer anyone will provide is to read the manual that came with your card. Otherwise, refer to the web site of the manufacturor.

But sometimes, all that info still doesn't make much sense. I remember when I read the manual for my Roland SC-88 and thought "What?!?!"

I'm guessing you don't know that much about MIDI, so you need to find a web site that will give you the basics such as:

There are 16 MIDI channels for you to select different sounds. Channel 10 is special as it's the only "natual" channel to play drums/percussion.

Within Channel 10 (and your sound card) there are different types of instruments that can be played which correspond to a particular note. Even on top of that, there are also different type of drums "sets" to choose from.

This may not make much sense, but to tell you more ... I might as well write a book.

Re: How do I put more instrument sounds into the midi sound card?

Reply #2
I'm not clear what you are asking. What do you mean by your "midi sound archive" as referenced several times in your post?

>I played it and now I wonder how I could put those sounds in the staff properties' midi sound archive of my sound card.

You could save the result into a *.nwc file, and move it into your templates folder. Perhaps you are asking something different...

>The only way to get those drum sounds is to load a NWCtemplate.

If the sound can be heard when playing back an NWC template, then your sound card is capable of playing the sound.