Skip to main content
Topic: Pitch Bend (Read 8303 times) previous topic - next topic

Pitch Bend

I'm trying to do a pitch bend over more than just a third (i.e. C to E).  I searched the forums, particularly post 4095, and I think it can be done by overlapping MPCs with volume fades in and out so as to overlap the volume fade and the pitch bend so that it makes one continuous "slide."  I understand what to do, I just don't quite know how to do it.  Any help would be much obliged.

Re: Pitch Bend

Reply #1
G'day Colin,
if you download http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/helpful/gliss.nwc it contains a functional example of what you're looking for.

You need to "unhide" the staves to see the workings...

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I would LOVE to be able to gliss a tritone (or more) without having to go through all that overlapping stuff.  When creating a score for full orchestra, there are no extra staves available.

Reply #3
G'day Béla,
...gliss a tritone [or more]... - Join the club - see article #4491 for some discussion that relates to this.

A visit to the wish list is definitely in order!  http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/wishlist.php

As for ...there are no extra staves available. I think you may have missed something - AFAIK there is no practical limit to the number of staves you can use though there is a limit on the number of midi channels available.

For the pitch bend example; though it uses 3 channels, you could get away with 2 as the visible staff does not sound.

Lawrie

Reply #4
Oops...I did mean "there are no extra channels available."

Reply #5
Ah, well then... This is probably a silly question but you have checked to see if you can double up on channel usage elswhere?  E.G. all the violins on one channel? All the Horns on one channel? etc.  I believe you can usually get away with it.

Lawrie

Reply #6
01 piccolo & flute (so they don't really sound as two different instruments...)
02 oboe & cor anglais (same problem)
03 clarinets (including bass)
04 bassoons (including kontrabassoon)
05 alto saxes
06 tenor saxes
07 bari saxes
08 all horns ("French" horns)
09 trombones 1&2
11 trombone 3 & tuba (see above)
12 mallet percussion
13 timpani
14 strings
15 strings (yes, two channels are needed quite often)
16 often used for "bass drum" - bass drum on channel 10 sounds like drum kit bass, not orchestral bass, so I use Taiko Drum.  I also use it when other instrument groups need to be split to different channels for special effects, such as for Stravinsky Symphony in C, one trombone "punches" a short loud note while another sustains the same note softly.  This effect cannot be done on the same channel (go ahead, try it...).  Even with no saxes in the Stravinsky, I was still short a channel with all the splitting that was necessary.
I could stand to have 32 channels...

Reply #7
G'day Béla,
like I said - silly question :)

Assuming you are working on a particular piece at the moment, is channel 16 (from your table) actually in use or could you stick an instrument patch in for the duration of the gliss?

Otherwise, you could use a second synth.  Makes it hard to share your work but will overcome the channel availability problem for your personal listening.

With the Audigy II my total synth availability is:
2*H/W synths in the Audigy,
1*Creative Audigy softsynth
1*MS GS Wavetable softsynth
1*Yamaha S-YXG50 softsynth

That's 80 channels...  Though they don't all sound the same.

Even without the XG and an Audigy I'm sure you could get two synths, one hardware and one software.

As far as possible I stick to 16 channels (1 synth) to allow for easy sharing.

Lawrie

Reply #8
I have used a second synth before (SB Live! A & B) for my personal listening, but it does make it impractical to share work with others.
Whatever is on channel 9B will sound like whatever is on channel 9A, and so forth.

Reply #9
The 16 channel limit is not a limit of Noteworthy.  It is a limit of MIDI.  Noteworthy can't fix this.  But at least they do support using multiple MIDI devices, so that you can get more than 16 if needed.  Once you go past 16 on any system, however, you've lost portability, unless the other system is set up exactly like yours.  I might would suggest figuring out how to get more than 16 on your system (such as that suggested by Lawrie), and then maybe creating WAV or MP3 files for portability.  That way, they will also sound exactly as you intended.

Reply #10
G'day Béla,
I just rechecked an earlier message of mine and found a link to be incorrect.  Here is the corrected one for an article discussing extended gliss possibilities: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4953

Implementation of direct CC access as suggested in https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4962 would be a real help if not a solution.

So that suggested visit to the wish list is still definitely in order!  http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/wishlist.php
but now you could add direct CC access in MPCs as well :)

A way to reduce the sharing problem when 2 synths are implemented:  Include a text file explaining that for correct playback NWC should have 2 synths configured.  Unfortunately I don't think this will help those who must use the player... For them John's suggestion of posting MP3s seems to be the best solution.

Lawrie